Become a Registered Member
Please note changes to SME Registered Member Qualifications effective January 1, 2016.
In September 2015 the SME Board of Directors approved the recommendations of the SME Registered Member Admissions Committee to increase the minimum years of experience for Registered Member applicants from five (5) years to seven (7) and to designate area of competency. Specific changes to existing criteria are as below:
“Applicant must have a minimum of seven (7) years of professional experience**, of which at least three (3) must have been in a position of responsibility, defined as one in which the individual was depended on for significant participation, management and decision making relevant to their respective area of competency.”
The applicant’s “Area of Competency” when signing as a QP include, but are not limited to, Geology, Resource Modeling, Geotechnical Evaluation, Engineering, Mine Design, Infrastructure, Metallurgy and Processing, Environmental, and Market and Financial Analysis.
To learn more about becoming a Registered Member, please review the Registered Member Qualifications.
Registered Member Application
The Registered Member Program was created in response to members who perform specialized functions relating to reserve consulting and reporting and need to satisfy the overseas requirement as a Competent/Qualified Person (QP) in that they belong to a Recognized Overseas Professional Organization (ROPO). A Registered Member is a scientist, engineer or technologist who is involved in various ways with the discovery, extraction and utilization of minerals, metals and energy sources. The membership includes geologists and other geoscientists, mining engineers and metallurgists, environmentalist, other engineers and other scientists and technologists.
1 year - $267.00
Registered Membership Benefits:
- Networking — Form friendships, develop professional associations or just have conversations with thought leaders working to address the needs of the mining and industry.
- Technical Documents and Publications — Access the largest concentration of mining and minerals related books, eBooks and publications in the world. Membership includes a free subscription to both the Mining Engineering and Tunneling & Underground Construction magazines.
- Peer-to-Peer Technical Training — Attend online and live training from industry leaders and experts with either a theoretical approach to problem solving, or real-life experience facing challenges that you might be facing yourself.
- Professional Development — Access tools and media to enhance your professional skills and advance in your career. Mentor a younger member, deepen your technical skills, or demonstrate your leadership skills to others in the society by joining a committee or presenting a technical paper at an SME Conference.
- SME Online Community — Create a personalized profile on the SME Community; an online forum for open discussion among existing SME committees and other technical interest groups. Interact with, and contribute to, the business of the society and SME’s working committees, or have online conversations with members who share your areas of interest. Get connected when it’s most convenient for you.
- OneMine Digital Database — Access to the world’s richest database of mining papers and publications, dating back to the early 1900’s. Whether your need is academic, professional development or workplace research, you’ll have unlimited access to this searchable, still growing database.
- Your SME Advantage — In addition to the benefits above, you’ll save hundreds of dollars when you attend meetings, webinars and short courses. You’ll also save 25% off your orders at the SME bookstore, and have access to an online membership directory.
Join Now, or download the application PDF and verification form, complete and fax to 303-948-4265.
Questions about membership?
Call the Member Relations Team at 800-763-3132 (303-948-4200 in Denver, CO) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Already a member? Make the most of your membership just: get started, get connected, and then get involved.